Friday, July 28, 2006

The Music Institute of Lexington

I'm in the insane stage of moving to Kentucky. Whereas normal people manage to confine the insane stage to about a week (or a weekend, if they're single and lucky!), I prefer to drag mine out for about a month. I like to find schools that lose my paperwork, as much road construction as possible, and sleep on the floor as often as I can. Okay, some of this was honestly not my choice, or even my fault, but it does seem to keep happening to me. In an effort to achieve a certain optimism, I'll look for the good things of the last few days. Bound to make me feel better, don't you think?

1.) The Music Institute of Lexington, where I'll be working, is fantastic! It's so cool to have a dream of mine suddenly appear before me. For years, I've wanted to help create a community music school, where every facet of musical study was available for all ages and abilities. Poof -- it's here in Lexington! There's a strong emphasis on early childhood programs of different types and even a music therapist on staff! I'll have to see if I can start using that music therapy degree. Even if I weren't looking forward to studying with the faculty at UK, I'd want to move here just to work at the Institute. The director is great, too -- even though I showed up breathless and sweaty a good forty-five minutes late for our meeting, she was great about it. (Blasted Indianapolis! Darn New Circle Road! To think I only allowed an hour and a half extra, when I should have allowed two!) I can't wait to improve the impression I must have made on her.

2.) This is going to be the nicest place I've ever lived. My apartment feels like a real house! There's actual woodwork and everything. Even though I possibly own more books than anyone my age should (and I'm not giving them up, either!), it's a joy to move them in to my built-in bookcases. I'm going to feel like a real person here, rather than a college kid again. I'm so glad!

3.) I have friends in town. I've never moved across the country to live near someone I know before. They live about five minutes away, and it will be so fantastic to have them nearby. T has already gotten me a job and offered me a piano and been an amazing help to have inside the music department. What an incredible blessing!

See? Life is good! I'm tired and stiff and have a lot of work to do, but what a great adventure I'm having! I have plenty of good music and lots of caffeine, and soon I'll be a Real Person again. How's that for a silver lining? :)

2 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger Xana Ender said...

Sounds great! I'll miss you though...even though we're too busy to ever DO anything together:-)

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

So has the school found your paperwork yet? I hope so. Because you are going to love being away and starting these new things and becoming a Real Person again. It's been a long time coming. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home