Tuesday, May 29, 2007

It's not just me!

When April with his showers hath pierced the drought
Of March with sweetness to the very rooot,
And flooded every vein with liquid power
That of its strength engendereth the flower;
When Zephyr also with his fragrant breath
Hath urged to life in every holt and heath
New tender shoots of green, and the young sun
His full half course within the Ram hath run,
And little birds are making melody
That sleep the whole night through with open eye,
For in their hearts doth Nature stir them so,
Then people long on pilgrimage to go...

~From The Prologue of The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer, trans. by Frank Ernest Hill

Haven't read Chaucer in a goode longe tyme. Ask, if you'd like to know my sudden inspiration. :)

Maybe these sentiments, expressed in timeless rhyme, are why I can't reconcile myself to have a weekend without adventure. I traipse off to Michigan at the least provocation. I run away to the Tennessee Ren Faire (only 250 miles or so) for the day. And despite the fact that my "spring" cleaning (I know, April has come and gone and June is nearly here!) is barely begun, I'm looking for excuses to hit the road this weekend. I'm happy in my work and play here, but I have that old wanderlust hitting me strong...

Any ideas for a good cure? I'm afraid, if I don't get some of it out of my system before late June, I'll drive my mother nuts when we take our road trip!

5 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger Becky Davis said...

You're always welcome in Tulsa!

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

I definitely second that! Plus, I'm actually coming home a couple days earlier than I had previously told you, so maybe, just maybe, I'll see you before I head to Ohio and you leave on your road trip. Here's hoping!

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

P.S. That translation is just not as cool as the Middle English. Sorry....

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Jeanine said...

Well, yeah, of course not -- you go with what you got.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Jeanine said...

I can feel my little car chomping the bit now... Can't wait to come to Tulsa! :) Blasted responsibilty that ties me down... If I didn't love my job, I'd be totally up a creek!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home