Monday, September 10, 2007

Petite Pianists

One of these days, I'm going to try a pleasant little dull life. I will go to work every morning at nine, complete eight hours of data entry or hedge-trimming or phone solicitation, go home at five, and sleep eight hours a night. I will eat three balanced meals each day, read the newspaper every morning, and conduct my days in a boring, organized manner. I will not work with children. I will not work with musicians. I will avoid visionaries at all costs.

Let's face it, I might last a week.

I thrive on chaos! I'm forever juggling a thousand things at once, spreading myself too thin, doing things myself rather than delegating; I wouldn't keep running my life this way if I didn't enjoy it to some extent. I'm officially retired from classroom teaching. It was not designed with me in mind -- ask if you want the saga. So, how on earth did I end up teaching a class of 4-7 year old beginning pianists? And why do I enjoy it? I tell you, it's a blast! You get them all dancing to the music, listening in rapt attention to the story, exploring the keyboards... It's organized chaos, methodic madness, truly exhausting, and an awful lot of fun.

This is the part of group teaching that I enjoyed. The logistics wore me out; real teaching envigorates me no end. I'm pretty blessed to do what I love in a setting that I control. I imagine there are not too many people who can say the same.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

I've always said: You are a very good teacher, even if "organized" teaching is not your cup of tea. Watching kids learn and enjoy doing so, especially music, is definitely your cup of tea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home