Friday, July 27, 2007

Have you ever noticed...

At the dentist's office, butterflies fly upside-down. I suppose this is an attempt to display the prettier (up)side to the patient, who is down. I find it disturbing. No butterfly goes around all day upside-down. I think it's probably impossible, certainly inadvisable. It sort of gives you a feeling of vertigo, as though you are looking down at them when all other sensations are certain that you are looking up.

Yeah, it's been one of those weeks. Stay tuned for a more in-depth post, where I examine the relationships of perfectionism, failure, despair, and Lutheranism. You might notice a new link in my "other blogs" section; Bluegrass Lutherans is a blogsite operated by the pastor of the Lutheran church where I am now the pianist. I haven't gone entirely Lutheran yet, but I'm exploring. There's something that frightens me about committing to a denomination. It's sort of like committing to a political party -- am I still stuck, even when I disagree with them? If so, I'd rather be independent and non-denominational!

2 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

I know what you mean about the denomination thing. But I have yet to find a church where I believe *everything* the pastor does (either in a denomination or not). I would say that if the main doctrines of the church involved coincide with yours, minor doctrinal differences don't matter too much. The historical problem with churches splitting up constantly seems to occur when minor differences overshadow the overall purpose of the Church; that is, to bring glory to God and eddify the Body.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

I know what you mean about the denomination dilemma. The more I study the Bible in a formal setting, the more I lean toward conservative church structure and teaching.

The thing is, I don't think you're ever going to find a church you agree with 100%. No one is. Or if they do, then maybe they're in denial.

I think the best any of us can do is try to find a place that fits our theology and our personality--and then choose our battles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home