Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Discipleship: Thinking about differences

I don't often write overtly Christian posts, but this has been on my mind. I'm not using this as a pulpit, but just as an opportunity to organize my thoughts. This is not my attempt to convert anyone or offend anyone. That said, feel free to skip this post if you like; I don't mind!

I work and play with a wide variety of people, including pagans, Wiccans, and atheists. Much of this is through my connection with Ren Faires, which I view as a sort of mission field. I don't preach or anything; I'm just there, hopefully being a different sort of Christian than most of them expect. These tend to be people who have been hurt or betrayed by the Church, often badly. The last thing they need to turn them away from Christ is another heavy-handed Bible-thumper. By being a quiet witness, someone who loves them without expectation, I hope that I can help to re-open the window to Light in their lives. In the process, I end up surrounded by murky theology a lot, and I felt the need this morning to de-murk.

To clarify: my God is not the same as the little gods of earth, wind, sky, or internet. If my God were the same as those others, He would be a liar. Everything He has said or demonstrated about His nature would be false, beginning with "The Lord your God, the Lord is One" and continuing through "I came that you should have life and have it abundantly." Worship the goddess if you must, but do not confuse her with the Lord who created heaven and earth and laid down His life for me.

I've always loved the story of Paul in Athens, when he spoke with the people worshiping at the altar of the "Unknown God." I love that it shows that God makes Himself known, even to those who haven't heard Truth. Still, it was unacceptable for the Romans to continue this practice once they knew the Truth. There are many powers, certainly; the little gods are real, the power they wield is real. I've seen and heard too much evidence to try to deny that. However, there is only one God worthy of our praise, one Lord whose power and love surpasses all others. And He knows that we cannot share our affections among the many. He knows me that well.

This is not about me reading the Book and spouting the right answers. This is about what I know in my heart of hearts, together with what my brain does or doesn't comprehend. If it weren't for what I know inside, perhaps the little gods of tree and earth would be enough for me. But they don't satisfy. They can't satisfy. And I can't settle for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home