Monday, October 01, 2007

Tedium

Let's face it; a lot of a musician's work consists of tedious repetition. Recently, I've been hammering away at a few sections that simply won't stay learned. The notes won't stay in my brain or my fingers from one day to the next, and it's impossible to increase tempo or move forward when that's the case. My last-ditch effort is the ten-times-a-day salt-mines technique. I isolate a page or three and play it ten times in a row. Every day. For a week. The only change I can make is to increase the tempo with a metronome; otherwise, it must be absolutely consistent.

I call this the salt-mines because it is probably the most painful drudgery I incorporate into my practice. However, with a little creativity, it becomes more fun! I needed some way to keep track of my repetitions, since I'm usually concentrating too hard to count. Someone suggested that I move paperclips from one side of the piano to the other as I go; I found a better way. When you practice in the room with the Lego table, inspiration may strike! If I use ten assorted Legos instead of boring old paperclips, I can build something as I go along! When I finish my ten repetitions, I will have finished my dragon or car or castle or whatever.

The only down-side to this method is that sometimes I like my sculpture too much. I built a little dragon Saturday that I couldn't bear to take apart for my next set of repetitions; happily, there are more Legos where those came from!

3 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Hmm, I wonder how such a method might apply to learning Greek vocab.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, I came across your blog while looking for a definition of appogiatura for my flute class, and could not help laughing, becuase my flute teacher often makes me do the same paper-clip thing; she doesn't believe me that I practice repetitively, which I actually do, becuase as soon as I enter her office, I start to worry about my finger positions and the way I am standing, etc. . . and completely forget everything I practiced all week. Do more expereinced people have this problem, I would like to know? Or is it just me and my laziness and terrible sight-reading abilities?

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Legos. I like that idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home