Thursday, December 20, 2007

Yet Another Immortal Song


Again, an appropriate lyric from my personal mental archives:

I'm gonna buy me a dog,
'Cause I need a friend now.


Before my mother worries, I should mention that this is not an immediate action. More than ever, though, I realize that this is not merely a probability. It's only a matter of how long I can hold out.

After R. and Betsy (today's photo-puppy) visited over Thanksgiving, I knew I really wanted a furry friend and could probably raise one without inviting tragedy. Spending days with my boss' half-trained beagle made me re-think this slightly. I don't have the time to train a dog properly at the moment, and I don't think it's fair to the dog to do the job half-way. So, I'd almost resigned myself to waiting for a slower lifestyle and a house with a yard, when Maggie came to the piano lesson earlier this week. Maggie is J's boxer puppy, snuffly nose and all. After she gave up trying to hide behind J's legs, she learned that I was really a pretty acceptable person. I don't think she's a big fan of piano lessons in general, but she seems to have joined my fan-club.

Honestly, how much longer can I live without a dog of my very own?
It's only a matter of time...

7 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many options, if you are ready for a companion. Purebred rescue is the first that comes to mind. Through them, you can get a dog that may be finished with the puppy foolishness, and have considerable training, but needs a home. Sometimes it is a matter of the original owner no longer being able to keep a dog, sometimes it is a transfer - but the dogs are normally carefully screened and they can tell you a lot about them. I'll be glad to help!

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why am I more intrigued with "J" than Maggie? Who would bring a puppy to their piano lesson, your readers may ask!

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

Also, there are several at my local shelter who are over a year old and in situations where the family moved and couldn't take them with, but they are fixed and housetrained, and generally good pets already. This way, you can have a buddy who doesn't need such a large time committment. (you can always supplement with an additional buddy if time and space become more accommodating!)

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Jeanine said...

Help! The conspiracy of puppy-lovers is drawing me into the trap of warm fur and wet noses!

This semester is likely to be a crazy one, but stay tuned -- I'm betting that I'll need your help choosing the right four-footed beastie before summer. Happiness is, as we all know, a warm puppy!

I work with young children -- all dogs are known as puppies, even if they're blind in one eye and seventeen years old. I agree, a pre-house-trained buddy will probably be the way to go for now. We'll see...

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help choosing a dog _before summer_!!??
What are you thinking, oh girl of many travels and continual life-changes????!!!!!!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

That's why dogs are great! Stability for an unstable world. And they make great traveling companions.

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leaving aside for now the merits of dog vs. no-dog, I think there are some details that might give one pause. Clearly, you do not have room for a big dog. (What will happen next November when the happy boundy puppy of '07 is the equally happy, equally boundy, but fully-grown dog (OK, puppy) of '08?) And somehow I have difficulty seeing you with a little yippy dustmop doggie like the Murph. So even if a dog in general is desirable and feasible, it might be difficult to find one big enough to be fun and compact enough to fit your living quarters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home