Friday, January 04, 2008

Wilberforce, Luther, and "The Art of the Possible"

Perhaps it's simply part of who I am; I'm never ignited by the issues. It has always seemed that the workings of governmental principalities and powers is a life-span away from me. My mother is a newspaper reader; she knows who is running for what, where they stand on the important things, and by whom they are endorsed. She believes vehemently in some political stands, and speaks out against others with equal fervor. My sister is a public defender, with the mission of fighting for the rights and proper treatment of the proverbial "little guy." She becomes irate about the way the system treats the people under her care.

And I? I am a musician. I'm a teacher and a music therapist. I spend my days pouring everything I have into the people around me, hoping to touch their lives somehow. Am I hoping to have the next Van Cliburn in my piano studio? Or do I want to be the facilitator of an amazing recovery? Not particularly. I just do what I do, and then I see what results there are to see. Sometimes really neat, sometimes crushing, and most often miniscule bits of personal growth. I spend my time watering plants, I suppose.

I've been watching biographical movies lately: St. Paul, Martin Luther, and most recently William Wilberforce. This isn't a movie review; maybe I'll do that later. The thing that strikes me is that each of these men was fighting for something, both personally and politically. They believed so fervently in an issue that they were willing to desert everything, sacrifice anything, to see that the right (as in that which is good and just, not the opposite of left) won out. I admire these men. I would like to make a difference, just as they did. Theirs are inspiring stories, and they inspired me.

But I haven't an issue.

Sure, I see right and wrong. I care about which is which. I won't vote unless I know that I am voting for the right (see above). But these issues, some of them heartbreaking or vitally important, fail to inspire me to incredible action. Is this a personal failing? One of my excuses is that I can't stomach the vile game of politics. I'm sure there are good folk out there; I haven't sifted through the slime to identify them. Is this gutless?

Perhaps I should make the effort to add the cares of the outer world to the cares of my little one. Still, even at my most inspired, I quail from it. Is it right to hold my life separate? Or must I hold my nose and dive into the muck?

2 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

No, you're not wrong to prefer affecting only the people around you on a personal level, rather than disiring to affect the world at large on an impersonal one. It is who you are. I do not believe it is because you are gutless or unprincipled. You're not. I am quite sure that if some "issue" out there were to affect your small charges in some way, you would be quite as outspoken about it as anyone else.

For example, if one of your students showed up all upset because they disolved the music program at her school, and they couldn't sing in choir anymore, you would not stand by and do nothing. You probably wouldn't write your congressman or run for office, but you would do something. You might start a choir of your own or give the kid voice lessons in addition to piano, or try to talk to someone at the school, or something. But you would not do nothing.

It's like Merry and Pippen. They are only small hobbits, and do not think of themselves as brave. But they did what they knew to be right when it came down to it.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruth is right about you, and has covered the most important points. I just wanted to point out that this is a personalized version of a debate that's been going on in the Church for several centuries: is separatism valid, and if so, is it for everyone? The various monastic movements, the separatist Puritans, ascetics of various kinds, and their opponents, have all weighed in on this. My personal opinion: it depends on what God calls the individual to do. Is a cloistered nun in a contemplative order necessarily serving God more or less effectively than a James Dobson or a Billy Graham? I think not: any of our effectiveness lies in letting God put us into whatever situation He wants to, and serving Him there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home