Friday, March 14, 2008

"Papa, am I odd?"

Yeah, okay, I know I’m not like "normal" people. I know I’m ... unusual. But it would be nice to be a little more predictable! I suppose my greatest predictability is my lack of predictability, but I find that I sometimes long for greater consistency in my life. Part of me knows that I would hate to live without having each day be a new and changeable adventure, but part of me would really like to try it. Just for a little while!

About a week ago, I succesfully pulled off The Great Studio Renovation of 2008! And let it be known that I am, in fact, A Beast. One of my college buddies used to call me that, because I was always toting sound equipment and whatnot. He should have seen me with this wooden cabinet that I moved into my teaching studio. I felt alternately like a puppy who wouldn’t let go of a stick that is twice its size and Laurel and Hardy waiting for a piano to fall on their heads. I’m sporting some impressive bruises, but my studio is back in business. The gaping holes in the wall are patched, the walls are a pleasant shade of blue, the books are organized, the curtains are up -- it’s a very low-stress place to teach. I needed that. And I have a lovely feeling of success, ’cause I did it myself. Come on, doesn’t everyone have a touch of that toddler independence?

Over the weekend, I read the most inspiring and helpful book on piano practicing. Really great concrete stuff. Can’t wait to use it. Ummm... except that I’ve been dead-dog tired all week, and I can barely drag myself out of bed. Even the past two days, which have been sunny and gorgeous, haven’t brought me springing from the covers. So, getting any work done at all has been a challenge. And incredible challenge. An almost insurmountable challenge!

Are other folks like this? Either all energy or none? Either flashing bright success or buried in a comfy cave? If so, I don’t see how anything gets done in this world! I hate it when I don’t want to do anything -- I feel like a worthless lump. The good thing is, I know a burst of energy is right around the corner. Maybe, now that I’m well-rested...

And, after all, the Ides of March approacheth!

6 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Over the weekend, I read the most inspiring and helpful book on piano practicing. Really great concrete stuff. Can’t wait to use it. Ummm... except that...

The title, please? (insert hopeful smile here)

:)

--Michigander

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Jeanine said...

It's "Playing the Piano with Confidence" by Gerald D'Abreu. Reiterates lots of things you know, reminds you of somethings you had forgotten, and gives you a few new ideas. He's very old-fashioned and European, but I like it!

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Happy Ides!!! And, no, that's not odd. At least if it is, both of us suffer from this oddity.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Um, yes. Energy on the ides. I expect that to be the case....

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Oh, and I think Charlie Brown had the same concern. After all, "If I start writing now when I'm not really rested it could upset my thinking, which is no good at all."

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger mozartmovement said...

Dear, I do believe adequate sleep might help in the long run.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home