Friday, September 15, 2006

Surreality

One of the most surreal things I've ever experienced -- walking across a deserted campus in the pre-dawn with a dense fog blanketing the whole place. It was like I was the only person on earth! If I hadn't had an exceptionally perky Rossini tune frolicking through my head, I would have scared myself pretty badly. A snippet of my internal monologues:
Wow, this is Jack the Ripper weather! He could be lurking around any corner, or straight ahead of me... (cantiam, cantiam, cantiam, cantiam!)
It's as though everyone else on earth disappeared over night. I could be the only one left... (In si ridente, ridente suol...)
That light makes the fog look even thicker, like I could touch it, as though if I try to walk through it I'll suffocate... (cantiam, cantiam, cantiam, cantiam!)
I can feel it like a blanket inside my chest. I can feel it clogging my lungs, squeezing my heart... (In si ridente, ridente suol...)
That vague shape moving over there, what is it? It could be anything from this distance, animal, monster, or man... (Si, cantiam, cantiam!)

Sometimes an overactive imagination is simply too much fun!

6 Comments:

At 2:48 AM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

And that is why you are my friend.... :)

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Mary said...

lol...I miss you terribly! Today I wanted to kidnap you and go for a walk in our park, but you weren't here...

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Xana Ender said...

Try walking in the early morning during a time when you KNOW most kidnappings take place...all because it's the only time to exercise.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Jeanine said...

Um, would that be between 6:30 and 7:00? Oops. Well, I've got to get to the music department somehow. And anyways, nobody's going to pick on me when there are all those sweet little sorority girls. :)

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Well, just don't talk to strangers. And don't hitchhike. Our mother would kill you!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Xana Ender said...

hee hee - so true. Of course, I was a sorority girl for my senior year. Of course, it was at Hillsdale, so basically I was a sorority girl in the 1950s. ha ha ha ha ha. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home