Friday, January 19, 2007

A Quandary

What do you do when a good friend is trapped in the same sort of prison you just escaped? There are no words that would be helpful, there is no action I can take. How is it right for me to be superbly content in my new life, while my friend is so thoroughly downtrodden? Life, as we all know well, is simply not fair. I am no more deserving of my joy than my friend is of her sorrow, yet there we stand. My heart breaks for her, I taste the bitterness of her sadness and despair. And I'm completely unable to help.

If I'm ever tempted to scorn the joys and blessings that surround me today, let me remember the chains that once bound me.

2 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

I don't know much to say. But would your friend wish for you not to have your happiness? I doubt it.

The best thing you can do is be there for your friend. Seasons do change...even when it seems as though they never will.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Jeanine said...

But the problem is that I'm _not_ there. And I don't even want to be!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home