Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Book Report (III)

Okay, this doesn't really qualify as a book report, because I haven't actually finished reading the book yet. I'm going unusually slowly, savoring the thoughts and ideas.

Blue Like Jazz by Don Miller is stupendous. He's no theologian, but he shares very frankly his thoughts and experiences. Anyone who is frustrated in their search for authenticity in the Christian universe can find relief in this book. Particularly, people in their twenties (ahem) who find themselves odd-man out (ahem) because they don't fit the Christian Mold (or any other mold!), who are tired of "doing another book", who think few people feel the way that they do because everyone else seems to fit the Mold -- this is your book. He is not full of answers, but he has anecdotal evidence that will inspire, encourage, and challenge you. And he'll make you laugh quite a bit.

Pardon raving nature of this post -- I'm really not the fan type, and I wouldn't consider myself a fan of Don Miller, but I think this book is one of the most timely, appropriate things I've read. And B., you're never getting it back from me. :)

Okay, okay, I'll give it back. But I don't have to like it. :)

1 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

I found Miller's take on things to be quite refreshing. And I will also be forever grateful to him for introducing me to the music of Patty Griffin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home