Tuesday, October 17, 2006

About Power

When I was an undergrad, many and many a year ago, I was required to take a sociology course. Sociology was not created for me -- I'm far too hung up on the individuality of each person to enjoy examining them as groups and categories. Anthropology was actually better, because we focused on lifestyles rather than tendencies. Anyway, my sociology prof (who's name I have blessedly forgotten...oops, I remember now, but I won't use it) told us that all relationships are based on power. Marriage, politics, friendship, mentorings; every interaction is based on the desire to have power over one another. My thought then and my thought now: Baloney.

However, over the past week I have developed a new appreciation for power. When I haven't got it, I feel the lack. The saga: Last week, our temperature plummetted from 80-something to 30-something. And I concurrently lost power. The electrical kind. Repeatedly. And then, it would spontaneously re-appear. Repeatedly. When, arriving home in the frost late on Thursday night, I heard that silence which means your chicken is thawing in the freezer and your toes are freezing in your shoes, I called the power folk. Blue Grass Electrical Co-Op, in addition to putting out a fine magazine that features articles on things like pet therapy and custom-made coffins, is staffed by a fine bunch. A nice fellow came out and replaced my meter, which was a good deal more complicated and time-consuming than it sounds. I went to sleep around 11:30, happily listening to the hum of freezer and heater. I awoke at 4:30 to dread silence once again. Called the power folk. The same nice fellow came out and fiddled with something. "I think it's your main breaker," says he. "You'll have to call your manager." I did so that very afternoon. I arrived home, late Friday evening, to that familiar silence. Losing no time, I called the after-hours maintenance man, J.J. J.J. is a great guy, willing to do anything to help, but slow as molasses in January. He thinks it's my main breaker, too. He and the electrician finally left sometime after eleven, freezing, but with a very pretty over-time paycheck on the way. If my apartment manager didn't want to pay overtime, she should have taken care of it before I got home. I have a new main breaker, now, and my power has stayed on. Mostly.

So, maybe Dr. S. was right. Maybe I do desire power. Sometimes, I think I'm down-right hungry for it. Or maybe just hungry, since I can't make my oatmeal without it.

7 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

My practical answer: Power is quite handy, whether electrical or otherwise.

My philosophical answer: I think things center around power when they stop centering around love. For where there is true, selfless love, the battle for power becomes needless.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger mozartmovement said...

Your power has stayed on "mostly."!!?? Please tell me you've got heat and oatmeal!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Xana Ender said...

Maybe your PROFESSOR had a weird obsession with power...although I guess you could contend that all sin is about power - wanting power over your own life - although really you're just a slave to sin then...so an argument could be made. But it's such a lonely outlook really.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Jeanine said...

Yes on the heat and oatmeal -- life is better, now. :)

I'm not sure that we could distill the essence of human interaction down to one word -- words are awfully finite for that sort of task. Sure, one could make an argument one way or the other, but I think we'd still be limited by language.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

I view power (either kind) pretty much the same way as I view money. I only really care about it when I have none. I currently have a sufficient amount of both to live my day-to-day life without worrying about it, and I'm good with that. The problem comes when a person is not satisfied with the amount the currently have and only desire to acquire more.

I, too, have never really liked the "lumping" of either all people or a group of people into one word or desire. I, for one, don't want lots of either power or money. I don't know what I would do with much more of either than I currently have. I've never had the patience to deal with either money or power. This is why I pretty much laughed when my mother suggested I be a judge. I dislike making decisions affecting others.

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess I would have to ask - - do we make any decisions that don't affect others?

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

I guess "affecting" would be the wrong word. I just dislike ordering people around and making decisions upon which their lives turn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home