Thursday, September 21, 2006

Looking for a Hero

Why is there never a Superhero around when you need one?

I spent Friday in a down-town church providing "something musical" for the annual Gallery Hop. Of course, I left home without my "something musical" repertoire books, so I ended up with a mish-mash of things from the library. I brought the music I'm working on currently, too, but none of it is really performance ready. Honestly, one can only fake it for so many hours on end without respite. A cellist came and helped out for a bit -- we had some fun sightreading (well, I was sightreading, anyway), and she did some unaccompanied Bach. Otherwise, it was just me. For hours. At the end of a long day. At the end of a long week. My personal low came when I was asked to play the Arensky -- my concerto, which is not melodic, not background music, and not ready for prime-time. I distinctly heard poor Mr. Arensky flip-flopping in his grave as I mutilated his work. I had to get the melody in somehow, I left out anything I couldn't play well, and I ended up turning the whole thing into a fairly flashy folk-song. Happily, everyone was thrilled with what I did. Except for me, butI don't count.

No question about it, this was a task for a Superhero. This was a job for The Man From Kalamazoo! Too bad he doesn't have the ability to teleport...

5 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger mozartmovement said...

You know I would have loved to be there witnessing the "flashy folk song" --and audience reaction!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Don't sell yourself short! The Man from Kalamazoo thinks you've got some Superhero qualities about you, too, I'm sure of it.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

And the Man from Kalamazoo is whom, exactly?

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Jeanine said...

The Man From Kalamazoo is the title that a bunch of wide-eyed, adoring young bassoonists at the double-reed convention this summer gave to Our Favorite Bassoonist after he played (from memory on a moment's notice) the Mozart concerto with bassoon-band accompaniment. The Man wasn't too sure about the bassoon-band arrangement, but he certainly made an impression on his new fans. At least, that's the way I heard the story. He's free to jump in with corrections, if I goofed. PR for a superhero is a heavy task! :)

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

No fair! I didn't even hear that story! (Even so, I had a shrewd idea who the Man is...) Do you suppose he could be a judge or a lawyer in a pinch? But then, of course, we're back to the teleportation problem...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home