Tuesday, June 03, 2008

When it rains...

My world seems to always move in fits and starts, somehow. Take, for example, my Petite Pianists class. Last year, when I was pushing hard to fill this class for another teacher, I was lucky to find three kids to make the class work. I enrolled three-year-olds, which is really too young, just to get my numbers up. Two out of three semesters, we canceled the class. This fall, I had a full class, without even pulling many teeth. This spring, I was amazed to have a full beginners class and a full "advanced" class. I didn't have high hopes for summer, because enrollment for a weekly class tends to be really low. How, then, did my beginners class fill before I even mailed brochures? I opened up another class, which filled in less than a week. I also have a full advanced class, and student interest in a "post-advanced" class. When did I get this popular?

Most of this year, my teaching schedule has been full to bursting -- with new students, old students, and "rescues" from other teachers. How do I only have four students for the summer? Why am I fighting the feelings of depression and betrayal that always come when I lose a student? I'm not inept; from eavesdropping at last week's recital, I'm apparently wildly popular with my students and families! So.... where are they?

There are days when I go stir-crazy sitting in this office, waiting for things to do. I always have a few big projects, but I often don't have the time to do them. And then there are days such as the past two, where I spend hours on the phone and e-mail. I become a regular whirlwind, and I actually have energy left over.

I spent the weekend in the sunshine with my G, driving and talking and walking and wandering, playing and working with boundless energy ... and today working from home, with phone and computer in the bed beside me, because it was stormy and grey and I hadn't the oomph to face the office.

Sometimes I think it would be nifty to try a tidy, consistent job and a tidy, consistent lifestyle. And then I realize: (1) such a thing does not seem to be forthcoming; (2) such a thing does not seem to fit my personality; and (3) wouldn't I miss the swirls of energy and excitement? Yeah, I guess I'll stick with my fits and starts. So long as they keep heading in the same direction!

3 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

you're right. A nine-to-five-er, you will never be!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Xana Ender said...

Are you going to be coming to Lansing anytime this summer?

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Jeanine said...

In and out -- I'll be up this weekend, actually. It's sort of a flying trip, so I don't know if I'll have time to see anyone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home